Friday 14 September 2012

Hommus

A little while back I posted a few dip recipes, but didn't have one for the hommus. I'm normally a "cook by feel" kind of girl, tasting, adding a splodge of this, a dash of that and tasting again and again until I am happy with the results. Hommus is also something I make in large batches and freeze, so when I posted the other recipes I didn't actually have a concrete recipe. I made it again and recorded what I did.

We all love this and go through tonnes of it. My daughter takes it to preschool with rice crackers for her healthy morning tea or has it on rice cakes for lunch, my son has it on celery sticks for fruit time at school, we've also been known to have it with lamb cutlets for dinner too.




Hommus 
Ingredients
  • 400g dried chick peas
  • Big pinch of bicarb soda
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup failsafe oil
  • 3 Tbsp citric 'lemon' juice
  • 4 small shallots, very finely chopped.
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
Method
  1. Soak the chickpeas over night in plenty of water
  2.  Drain and rinse the chickpeas and put into a large pot. Cover with plenty of water, add the bicarb and bring to the boil. Cook until the chickpeas are tender. If you get one out and squeeze between your fingers it should squish easily.
  3. Drain and let them cool until they are able to be put in the food processor.
  4. Put the chickpeas, garlic and shallots in the processor and gradually add the oil while the motor is running.
  5. Add the citric 'lemon', salt and parsley and process until you have a fairly smooth consistency (some chickpeas are drier than others, so it may need more oil).
  6. Taste and adjust if you prefer.
  7. Store in the fridge or pack into smaller containers (I use ones that are about a cup) and freeze until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment