Saturday 9 June 2012

Not Quite Curry

So my son had a friend over today who is Indian. He was telling me about the food he normally eats and it got me craving curry. Hubby and I had real curry about a month ago when we went out for our anniversary, we go out so rarely that something so incredibly un-failsafe is a fitting choice. But I wanted curry tonight so I experimented with what I can use here and the results were surprisingly good. Actually, it was seriously delicious.

Clayton's Chicken Curry
Ingredients
  • 1 large leek, split lengthways and sliced finely
  • 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp failsafe oil (or ghee if you can tolerate it)
  • 600g chicken breast, diced
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup rice milk
  • 1/2 tsp saffron threads
  • 1/4 cup gin (optional, you can just add more rice milk)
  • 2 Tbsp ground raw cashews

Method
  1. Heat rice milk and add saffron and let soak. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large saucepan and cook leeks and garlic until soft and pale gold.
  3. Add chicken and seal on all sides. Stir in salt
  4. Add gin and rice milk with saffron, cover and gently simmer for about 20 mins or until chicken is cooked and tender.
  5. Add ground cashew and cook for another few minutes.
  6. Serve with steamed rice and flat bread.




Variations - Dairy - use cream instead of rice milk.
                    Salicylates - add a tsp of garam masala with the salt and a Tbsp of fresh coriander to garnish


This was so easy to make and everyone liked it, so I think this will be a regular feature at dinner time.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this recipe! I tried it tonight and my son and I loved it! It's wonderful to have something that isn't green and I'm so glad it adds another dairy free option too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I just made this and it's great, I added a couple of potatoes and some celery stalks to the mix too, love it. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made this tonight. It was fantastic. Thank you for sharing the recipe. This is the first time we as a family have been able to have anything that was similar to a curry while on the elimination diet. YUM. I thought the flavours were great. The only change we made was adding some shallots to the leek. We also made double the quantity of sauce for the chicken just so we had extra sauce over our rice. Once again thank you for your creativity and for actually making this available to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi made this tonight, delicious! Quick query about the saffron, I bought a very small jar at coles for $13.00. It contained about 1/4 tsp of saffron if that. Is there a better way to buy saffron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle. I buy it from my local fruit and veg shop, the brand is Master Of Spices and it is about $6 for 1g. Still expensive, but much better value.

      Delete
  5. Just made this and was so delicious I cannot believe ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was delicious and so easy to make! I also added celery after reading the comment and it worked well. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete